Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Associação entre composição corporal, equilíbrio e mobilidade de idosos com 80 anos ou mais
- Association between body composition, balance and mobility of elderly aged 80 years or older
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Study design: cross-sectional study. Objective: The objective of this study was to analyze the association between body composition, mobility and balance of elderly aged 80 years or older. Methods: The sample consisted of 123 elderly aged 80 and 95 years (83.2 ± 2.7 years) with 78 women (83.2 ± 2.9 years) and 45 men (83.2 ± 2, 4 years) residing in the city of Presidente Prudente - SP. Assessment of body composition was made by absorpiometria dual energy X-ray (DXA). The mobility and balance were assessed by means of tests of speed walking, and static balance lower limb strength. For statistical analysis we carried out the chi-square test, the software used was SPSS (13.0) and the significance level was set at 5%. Results: In males, those with higher performance in the functional tests showed higher percentages of muscle mass (MM) (35.6%) compared to lower performance (15.6%), p = 0.026. In the female group, the elderly with higher performance on tests showed higher bone mineral density (BMD) values (30.8%) compared with those with lower performance (20.5%) p = 0.041. Conclusion: MM for elderly males and BMD for females were the components of body composition that is associated with functional capacity.
- Medicina (Brazil), v. 46, n. 2, p. 135-140, 2013.
- Aged, 80 and over
- Body Composition
- Mobility limitation
- Postural balance
- body composition
- body equilibrium
- bone density
- computer program
- dual energy X ray absorptiometry
- functional status
- muscle mass
- muscle strength
- urban population
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.