Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Structure-antimicrobial activity of some natural isocoumarins and their analogues
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Three naturally occurring isocoumarins (paepalantine, paepalantine 9-O-beta-D-glucopyranoside and paepalantine 90-beta-D-allopyranosyl(1 -> 6) glucopyranoside) and two semi-synthetic analogues, 9,10-acylated compound and 9-OH-10-methylated compound,. structurally similar to paepalantine, were evaluated for antimicrobial activity using a spectrophotometric microdilution technique. The paepalantine was active against S. aureus, S. epidermidis, and E faecalis. while the other four compounds proved ineffective against all microorganisms tested at concentrations of 500 mu g/ml. Variations in phenolic substitution at OH-9 and/or OH-10 in the paepalantine molecule resulted in compounds without antimicrobial activity. A combination of structural features, two phenolic groups as cathecolic system, forms an oxygenated system arrangement that may reflect the potentially antimicrobial properties of paepalantine. (c) 2004 Elsevier GmbH. All rights reserved.
- Phytomedicine. Jena: Urban & Fischer Verlag, v. 12, n. 5, p. 378-381, 2005.
- Urban & Fischer Verlag
- antimicrobial activity
- natural isocournarins of Eriocaqulaceae family
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.