Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Estoque doméstico e uso de medicamentos em uma população cadastrada na estratégia saúde da família no Brasil
- Household storage and use of medications in a population served by the family health strategy in Brazil
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
- Objective. To identify families served by the family health strategy (FHS) storing medicines at home, to evaluate storage conditions, and to investigate medicine use practices.Methods. The study was conducted in a municipality in the state of São Paulo with two FHS units serving 1 867 households. The sample was selected by means of stratified random sampling. Data collection was conducted through semistructured interviews from July to October 2008.Results. One resident was interviewed in each of the 280 households visited. Medicines were found in 255 households (91.1%). of 326 storage locations, 217 (75.8%) were inadequate (easily accessible to children or exposed to moisture, light). of the 2 578 medicines identified, 2 059 medicines (79.9%) in 236 (84.3%) households had safety or identification problems. of the 280 respondents, 179 (63.9%) used medications. of these, 24 were self-medicating, only one with an over-the-counter drug. Only 44 users had the prescription for their medication, and 21 did not follow the prescription in terms of dosage or had interrupted the treatment.Conclusions. Non-adherence to recommended treatment can lead to negative outcomes, such as inefficiency (using dosages lower than prescribed), poisoning (using dosages higher than prescribed), and other adverse reactions.
- Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica-pan American Journal of Public Health. Washington: Pan Amer Health Organization, v. 29, n. 5, p. 358-364, 2011.
- Pan Amer Health Organization
- Pharmaceutical services
- Family Health Program
- drug utilization
- drug storage
- self medication
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.