Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Evaluation of Electrical Properties of Lap Joints for BSCCO and YBCO Tapes
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Companhia Paulista de Forca e Luz (CPFL)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- The joint process between tapes of coated conductors is a critical issue for the most of the applications of high temperature superconductors (HTS). Using different fabrication techniques joints of YBCO coated superconductors were prepared and characterized through electrical measurements. For soldering material low melting point eutectic alloys, such as In-Sn (m.p. 116 degrees C) and Sn-Pb (m. p. 189 degrees C) were selected to prepare lap joints with effective length between 1 to 20 cm. The splice resistance and the critical current of the joints were evaluated by I-V curve measurements with the maximum current strength above the critical current, in order to evaluate the degree of degradation for each joint method. Pressed lap joints prepared with tapes without external reinforcement presented low resistance lap joint nevertheless some critical current degradation occurs when strong pressing is applied. When mechanical pressure is applied during the soldering process we can reduce the thickness of the solder alloy and a residual resistance arises from contributions of high resistivity matrix and external reinforcement. The lap joints for reinforced tape were prepared using two methods: the first, using as-supplied tape and the other after reinforcement-removal; in the latter case, the tapes were resoldered using Sn-Pb alloy. The results using several joint geometries, distinct surface preparation processes and different soldering materials are presented and analysed. The solder alloy with lower melting point and the longer joint length presented the smallest joint resistance.
- IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity. Piscataway: IEEE-Inst Electrical Electronics Engineers Inc, v. 19, n. 3, p. 2831-2834, 2009.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Critical current
- HTS tapes
- joint length
- low resistance lap joint
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.