Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effects of surface treatments on the fatigue strength of AISI 4340 aeronautical steel
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Internal residual stresses significantly influence the fatigue strength of coated materials. It is well known that chromium plating is the most used electrodeposited coating for important industrial applications. However, pressure to identify alternatives or to improve the chromium electroplating process have increased in recent years, related to the reduction in fatigue strength of the base material and to environmental requirements. The high efficiency and fluoride free hard chromium electroplating there called accelerated) is an improvement to the conventional process. One environmentally safer and cleaner alternative to hard chromium plating is tungsten carbide thermal spray coating applied by the High Velocity Oxy-Fuel (HVOF) process. To increase the fatigue strength of chromium plated materials, coating thickness and microcracks density are important parameters to be controlled. Techniques as compressive residual stresses induced by shot peening and multilayers, are also used. The aim of this study was to analyse the effects on AISI 4340 steel, in the rotating bending fatigue behaviour, of the: tungsten carbide thermal spray coating applied by HP/HVOF process; chemical nickel underplate, and shot peening process applied before coating deposition, in comparison to hard chromium electroplatings. Rotating bending fatigue test results indicate better performance for the conventional hard chromium plating in relation to the accelerated hard chromium electroplating. Tungsten carbide thermal spray coating and accelerated hard chromium plate over nickel resulted in higher fatigue strength when compared to samples conventional or accelerated hard chromium plated. Shot peening showed to be an excellent alternative to increase fatigue strength of AISI 4340 steel hard chromium electroplated. (C) 2001 Elsevier B.V. Ltd. All rights reserved.
- International Journal of Fatigue. Oxford: Elsevier B.V., v. 23, n. 7, p. 607-618, 2001.
- Elsevier B.V.
- hard chromium
- electroless nickel
- tungsten carbide
- shot peening
- AISI 4340 steel
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.