Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Production of the First Effective Hyperimmune Equine Serum Antivenom against Africanized Bees
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Inst Invest Immunol INCT
- Instituto Butantan
- Univ Sao Francisco
- Inst Technol Parana
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FINEP (CT-BIOTEC-Anticorpos -MCTFINEP)
- Butantan Institute
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- FAPESP: 11/51684-1
- Victims of massive bee attacks become extremely ill, presenting symptoms ranging from dizziness and headache to acute renal failure and multiple organ failure that can lead to death. Previous attempts to develop specific antivenom to treat these victims have been unsuccessful. We herein report a F(ab)'(2)-based antivenom raised in horse as a potential new treatment for victims of multiple bee stings. The final product contains high specific IgG titers and is effective in neutralizing toxic effects, such as hemolysis, cytotoxicity and myotoxicity. The assessment of neutralization was revised and hemolysis, the primary toxic effect of these stings, was fully neutralized in vivo for the first time.
- Plos One. San Francisco: Public Library Science, v. 8, n. 11, 10 p., 2013.
- Public Library Science
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.