Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Haplotypes of susceptibility to chronic periodontitis in the Interleukin 8 gene do not influence protein level in the gingival crevicular fluid
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- FAPESP: 03/10424-0
- FAPESP: 09/08773-3
- Objective: Previously, we identified that the ATC/TTC haplotype formed by polymorphisms in the Interleukin-(IL)8 gene conferred susceptibility to chronic periodontitis (CP). The aim of the study was to investigate whether the IL8 haplotype ATC/TTC was associated with the volume of gingival crevicular fluid (GCF), the concentration of interleukin IL-8 in the GCF, as well as periodontal conditions in patients with CP in comparison to controls without CP.Methods: Seventy-nine individuals (CP: n = 41, controls: n = 38) were grouped according to the presence (susceptible for CP) or absence (not susceptible for CP) of the IL8 ATC/TTC haplotype. After periodontal clinical evaluation, they were subdivided by the presence or absence of CP. GCF was collected from each patient and the IL-8 levels were determined by ELISA. The GCF volume of each subject was measured by means of a calibrated electronic device. Comparisons of means between carriers and non-carriers of the ATC/TTC haplotype were evaluated using the Mann-Whitney test. Linear regression and stepwise linear regression analysis were used to analyse the association of the GCF volume with potential covariates and their contribution for the phenotype.Results: We did not find significant differences of both periodontal conditions and IL-8 concentration in the GCF of patients with the presence or absence of the IL8 ATC/TTC haplotype. However, the GCF volume was significantly higher amongst the patients affected by CP that are absent for the IL8 ATC/TTC haplotype. In addition, linear regression analysis showed a statistically significant association between GCF volume and CP, IL8 haplotype ATC/TTC and IL-8 concentration.Conclusions: The IL8 haplotype of susceptibility to CP was neither associated with IL-8 cytokine levels nor with clinical periodontal parameters. Also, CP, IL8 haplotype and IL-8 concentration showed a positive association with the GCF volume levels in the studied patients. (c) 2012 Published by Elsevier Ltd.
- Archives of Oral Biology. Oxford: Pergamon-Elsevier B.V. Ltd, v. 57, n. 10, p. 1355-1361, 2012.
- Pergamon-Elsevier B.V. Ltd
- Chronic periodontitis
- Disease susceptibility
- Gingival crevicular fluid
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.