Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- In vitro and in vivo safety evaluation of Dipteryx alata Vogel extract
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de Sorocaba (UNISO)
- Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
- Universidade Federal do Tocantins (UFT)
- Universidade Federal do Pampa (UNIPAMPA)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: 07/53883-6
- FAPESP: 07/51414-5
- Background: Dipteryx alata Vogel popularly known as baru is an important commercial leguminous tree species from the Brazilian Cerrado, which possess medicinal properties, besides its fruits consumption by animals and humans. The use of the naturally occurring plants as herbal remedies and foods mainly from leaves, seeds, flowers and roots of plants or extracts require precautions before ensuring these are safe and efficacious. The objective of this study was to evaluate the safety of D. alata barks extract.Methods: Vegetal drugs of D. alata barks were submitted to quality control assays and further to the safety assays under 1) in vitro parameter by Salmonella (Ames) mutagenicity, and 2) in vivo parameter on the pregnancy of rats.Results: The extract was non-mutagenic to any of the assessed strains TA97a, TA98, TA100 and TA102 even after metabolic activation (+S9). All in vivo parameters (reproductive ability evaluation, physical development of rat offsprings, and neurobehavioral development assays) showed no changes related to control group.Conclusion: D. alata barks extract is neither mutagenic by the Ames test nor toxic in the pregnancy of rats, with no physical-neurobehavioral consequences on the rat offsprings development.
- Bmc Complementary and Alternative Medicine. London: Biomed Central Ltd., v. 12, p. 9, 2012.
- Biomed Central Ltd.
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.