Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Maternal flow-mediated dilation and nitrite concentration during third trimester of pregnancy and postpartum period
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Escola de Ultra-sonografia e Reciclagem Medica de Ribeirao Preto (EURP)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Objectives. To compare maternal flow-mediated dilation (FMD) of the brachial artery and nitrite concentration between third trimester of pregnancy (3rdT) and postpartum (PP) period. Additionally, we will evaluate whether FMD correlates with nitrite concentration in both periods. Methods. Eligibility criteria was healthy women with singleton pregnancy, gestational age >28 weeks, nonsmokers, and no personal or family history of vascular disease. Each women was examined during 3rdT and between 8 and 12 weeks PP to evaluate FMD and nitrite concentration in whole blood. Women not examined in both periods were excluded. Values between both periods were compared using paired t tests. Correlation between FMD and nitrite was examined by Pearson correlation coefficient. Significance level set as p<0.05. Results. We invited 42 pregnant women. Among them, 35 were eligible and 7 of them were excluded for not attending the PP evaluation resulting in 28 participants analyzed. We found no significant change in FMD (10.39±5.57% vs. 8.42±4.21%; p=0.11; 3rdT vs. PP, respectively) and no significant change in nitrite concentration (257.41±122.95nmol/L vs. 237.16±90.01nmol/L; p=0.28). Baseline brachial artery diameter had a significant reduction (3.11±0.30 to 2.75±0.34mm; p<0.01). No significant correlation between FMD and nitrite during 3rdT (r=-0.13; p=0.50) or PP (r=0.14; p=0.48) was found. Conclusions. We did not observe significant changes in both FMD and nitrite concentration between third trimester and the PP period. FMD did not correlate with nitrite in both periods. More studies are needed to confirm our findings. © Informa Healthcare USA, Inc.
- Hypertension in Pregnancy, v. 32, n. 3, p. 225-234, 2013.
- Postpartum period
- artery diameter
- artery dilatation
- brachial artery
- flow mediated dilation
- gestational age
- human experiment
- normal human
- pregnant woman
- third trimester pregnancy
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.