Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Antifungal applications of Ag-decorated hydroxyapatite nanoparticles
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Federal de São Carlos (UFSCar)
- Pure hydroxyapatite (HA) and hydroxyapatite decorated with silver (HA@Ag) nanoparticles were synthesized and characterized. The antifungal effect of HA@Ag nanoparticles in a distilled water solution was evaluated against Candida albicans. The origin of the antifungal activity of the HA@Ag is also discussed. The results obtained showed that the HA nanorod morphology remained the same with Ag ions decorations on the HA structure which were deposited in the form of nanospheres. Interaction where occurred between the structure and its defect density variation in the interfacial HA@Ag and intrafacial HA region with the fungal medium resulted in antifungal activity. The reaction mechanisms involved oxygen and water adsorption which formed an active complex cluster. The decomposition and desorption of the final products as well as the electron/hole recombination process have an important role in fungicidal effects. © 2013 C. A. Zamperini et al.
- Journal of Nanomaterials, v. 2013.
- Anti-fungal activity
- Antifungal effect
- Density variations
- Fungicidal effects
- Hydroxyapatite nanoparticles
- Nanorod morphologies
- Reaction mechanism
- Recombination process
- Synthesis (chemical)
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.