Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Anti-diabetic activity of Bauhinia forficata decoction in streptozotocin-diabetic rats
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- The effects of using Bauhinia forficata leaf decoction (150 g leaf/l water; 35.2+/-7.8 ml/100 g body weight mean daily dose) as a drinking-water substitute for about I month on streptozotocin-diabetes (STZ-diabetes) in male Wistar rats were investigated. The physico-metabolic parameters measured were: body weight, food and liquid intake, urinary volume, hepatic glycogen, serum triglycerides and cholesterol, plasma glucose, urinary glucose and urea, and the weight of epididymal and retroperitoneal adipose tissue and soleus and extensor digitorum longus muscles. The STZ-diabetic rats treated with decoction showed a significant reduction in serum and urinary glucose and urinary urea as compared to the STZ-diabetic control, no difference being seen between decoction-treated and -untreated non-diabetic rats. The other physico-metabolic factors showed no changes in treated STZ-diabetic rats. The improvement in carbohydrate metabolism seen in the rats treated with Bauhinia forficata decoction does not appear to be linked to the inhibition of glycogenolysis or the stimulation of glycogenesis nor does it appear to act in a way similar to insulin or the sulfonylureas, although it may act by the inhibition of neoglycogenesis in a manner similar to that of the biguanides. (C) 2002 Elsevier B.V. Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Clare: Elsevier Sci Ireland Ltd, v. 81, n. 2, p. 191-197, 2002.
- Elsevier B.V.
- anti-diabetic activity
- Bauhinia forficata
- anti-hyperglycemic effect
- streptozotocin-diabetic rats
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.